Flanner House, a social service agency, was founded in 1898. It was the first agency in Indianapolis devoted solely to meeting the social service needs of African-Americans and is nationally recognized for developing groundbreaking programs that foster a spirit of self-reliance. The collection provides insight into this historic organization and its important role in shaping the social and economic landscape of Indianapolis. It's part of an LSTA 2006 Digitization Grant in which IHS partnered with IUPUI. Their Flanner House collection can be viewed here.