The Indianapolis Literary Club was organized on Jan. 10, 1877, at the home of John D. Howland, who became the club's first president. The stated purpose of the club is the pursuit of "social, literary and aesthetic culture." Informally, the club has acted as a meeting place for a number of the city's leaders from various professions. Membership lists indicate the club has continued this function throughout its history and into the present. A typical meeting consists of the president introducing the speaker, a club member, who presents an original paper on the topic of his choice, followed by a discussion. The club has archived their organizational records and many essays at IHS. This digital collection begins with essays read circa 1889 through 1942, of which IHS has copies. The club also granted permission to include two formerly published, summarized records of the club entitled Summarized Record, 1877-1976, Francis H. Insley, and The Indianapolis Literary Club: Summarized Record, 1976-2003, compiled by Raymond E. Gnat and edited by Lawrence S. Connor. Additional essays will be periodically added for the years after 1940 and also whenever older essays become available to IHS. Digitizing the essays is a joint endeavor of IHS and IUPUI University Library. For further information on the Literary Club, visit www.literaryclub.org.