Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
c.r Childs, Photograph...
H.e Fuller, Plymouth, ...
M Leonard Photo co, 28...
page 1 of 12 : (
add to favorites
Jackson Hotel, Vallonia, Indiana
Jackson County (Ind.); Hotels; Business districts; Business districts; Utility poles; Dirt roads; Sidewalks
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries Vallonia was a thriving community. It prospered with churches, schools, a bank, drug store, cannery, and hotel. The Hotel Jackson, built by Joe Jackson in 1914,...
Business District Street Scene, Montpelier, Indiana
Blackford County (Ind.); Business districts; Streets; Business districts; Street railroad tracks; Utility poles; Storefronts; Awnings; Carts & wagons; Pedestrians; Automobiles
In 1837 Abel Baldwin platted Montpelier to resemble his hometown of Montpelier, Vermont. Incorporated in 1870, the town experienced huge growth during the oil and gas boom of the 1890s. In 1895, this “Oil...
Main Street, Looking West, Crawfordsville, Ind.
Montgomery County (Ind.); Business districts; Street railroads; Parades & processions
A small, unidentified parade or procession, probably ca. 1910-12, is depicted along Crawfordsville's Main Street, with structures including a theater and interurban station in the foreground.
Montgomery County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads; Transportation
A prospering community in northern Montgomery County, Ladoga was founded in 1836 by John Meyers. Visible in a main street view are a dress shop, drug store, restaurant and other vital commercial ventures...
North Main Street, Elliott House, Wakarusa
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Dirt roads; Transportation
The town was platted as Salem in 1852 but as there was already another Salem in Indiana, it was changed to Wakarusa, which oral tradition claims came from the Indian name meaning "knee deep in mud." The...
Market Street, Nappanee, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Transportation; Clothing & dress
Laid out in 1874, Nappanee's name comes from the Missisauga na-pa-ni "flour," and was named after the Canadian town, Napanee, named for its gristmill. Another legend says it was named for an Indian maiden...
Main Street, Goshen, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Clothing & dress; Clocks & watches; Sidewalks
Oliver Crane created lots for the county seat in 1831. One tradition says Goshen is named after Mr. Crane's hometown in Orange County, New York; another says it was because the land was rich and productive...
West Vistula Street, Bristol, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Dirt roads; Transportation
Bristol was founded in 1830 and platted in 1835. It was named for Bristol, England, by New England settlers.
Elliott and Antrim Block, Sheridan, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Buildings; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Transportation; Street lights
First called Millwood in 1860, this town was renamed Sheridan in 1871 to honor General Philip H. Sheridan. Undertaker and furniture dealer J.G. Antrim wrote of his store, "we own . . . over 8000 square...
Aerial View of Noblesville, Indiana
Aerial views; Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Stores & shops
Noblesville was founded in 1823 and probably named for James Noble, the first U.S. senator from Indiana. The current courthouse was completed in 1879 and heated by steam, which was considered progressive...
Branson Street, LaFontaine, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Business districts
La Fontaine was settled around 1833. It was platted in 1845 and named Ashland due to all the wood burned at the tannery there. In 1873 the town's name was changed to La Fontaine to honor Miami chief François...
Wabash Street, South from Market, Wabash, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Transportation; Business districts; Street railroads
The electric streetcar arrived in Wabash in 1901. The first cars seated 48 people. They ran the length of the city including through the business district on Wabash Street every half hour for 5¢ a ride....
Courthouse, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Allen County (Ind.); Courthouses; Cupolas; Business districts
The courthouse was designed by Brentwood S. Tolan in the Beaux Arts style with Blue Bedford limestone and Vermont granite. Built 1897-1902, it includes bas-reliefs, skylights, a rotunda with a dome of...
Main Street Looking West, New Haven, Indiana
Allen County (Ind.); Business districts; Streets; Transportation
An earlier settlement was called Gundys Deadening after a settler named Gundy deadened timber before clearing land. Henry Burgess platted the city in 1839 and in 1842 named it after New Haven, Connecticut....
Courthouse Square, Anderson, Indiana
Madison County (Ind.); Courthouses; Business districts; Transportation
The old county courthouse was built from 1882-1885. It was the design of architect George W. Bunting, believed to have been the most prolific designer of Indiana courthouses. The building was demolished...
State Street Looking West, Pendleton, Indiana
Madison County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Transportation; Carriages & coaches; Baby carriages
Pendleton was named after its founder Thomas M. Pendleton in 1823. This image shows State Street as it looked near the turn of the twentieth century.
Delaware County Courthouse, Muncie, Indiana
Delaware County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities; Carriages & coaches; Business districts
The county seat of Muncie was platted in 1827. It was named for a band of the Delaware tribe that lived there. The Delaware County Courthouse shown was built in 1887 and designed by Brentwood Tolan. A...
Main Street, Stinesville
Business districts; Monroe County (Ind.); Dirt roads; Transportation
Stinesville was platted on April 5, 1855 and named for Eusebius Stine, who built the first grist and sawmill in the area. This image of Main Street shows the Odd Fellows Lodge and several businesses, many...
North Main Street, Mount Vernon, Indiana
Posey County (Ind.); Streets; Business districts
Mount Vernon was laid out in 1816 and named for George Washington's home. The town grew rapidly as it was located next to the Ohio River which provided for growth of commerce. For a time the town commercially...
View of White's Cafeteria and the Guaranty Building in Indianapolis
Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); Office buildings; Restaurants; Business districts
View of the Guaranty Building and White's Cafeteria next door. The buildings are located in the southwest quadrant of the Circle. The postcard image shows some of South Meridian Street and the L.S. Ayres...
add to favorites
page 1 of 12 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^