Search results for
Refine your search
Monument Circle (India...
Perry County (Ind)
Clark, d.r, Photograph...
Corps of Engineers' Ph...
Cummings, G Robert
page 1 of 2 : (
add to favorites
Chief Menominee Statue
Marshall County (Ind.); Indians of North America; Statues; Memorials
Chief Menominee was a leader of the Potawatomi. In 1838 the tribe was forced from Indiana. Menominee and many others died on the journey in what came to be known as the Trail of Death. In 1909 a granite...
Calvin Fletcher Holding His Hat
Fletcher, Calvin, 1798-1866; Portrait photographs; Clothing & dress; Hats
Fletcher is seated, wearing a light colored suit and bow tie and holding a hat in his hand.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument Viewed from South Meridian Street
Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); Monuments and Memorials; Carts & wagons; Transportation; Business districts; Christ Church Cathedral (Indianapolis, Ind.); English Hotel and Opera House (Indianapolis, Ind.); Flags
The picture was taken before the sculptures were put in place.
Early View of Monument Circle
Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); Christ Church Cathedral (Indianapolis, Ind.); Columbia Club (Indianapolis, Ind.)--Photographs
In the early years, Governor's Square, as the area around the Circle was called, consisted of residences and churches. At one point there were more than five churches near the Circle (only Christ church...
Monument Circle, ca. 1888
Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); Circle Hall Building (Indianapolis, Ind.); Statehouse (Indianapolis, Ind.)
With the demolition of the governor's House in 1857, the Governor's Square deteriorated becoming a grazing area for livestock and dumping ground for humans. [ca.1888]
Sullivan Residence, Marion County, Indiana
Houses; Chimneys; Porches; Fences
The two-story brick home has five chimneys. Porches are on both levels on the back of the house. People can be seen standing near the home. Shade trees fill the yard and a fence encloses the residence....
WKKK Godfrey Klan No. 93
Ku Klux Klan (1915- ). Godfrey Klan No. 93 (Hartford City, Ind.); Women of the Ku Klux Klan; Prejudice; Political activity; Racism; Flags; Robes; Women
The Women of the Ku Klux Klan (WKKK) became an auxiliary of the KKK in 1923, keeping the all-male status of the KKK. With over 130 chapters in Indiana, some estimate as many as a quarter-million Hoosier...
Brookston Academy, Brookston, Indiana
White County (Ind.); Brookston Academy; Schools; School buildings; Private schools
Brookston was founded in 1853 and named for James Brook, president of the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railway. Horace Greely was stranded there in 1853 and the experience caused his lifelong disdain...
Mill on Indian Creek east of Indian Springs, Indiana
Martin County (Ind.); Mills and mill-work; Waterways; Rowboats
The mill seen here was owned by John Hammersley and located on Indian Creek several miles east of Indian Springs. A dam provided water power for sawing lumber and grinding grain. It was run by Hammersley...
Dedication of the George Rogers Clark Memorial, Vincennes, Indiana, June 15, 1936
Knox County (Ind.); Vincennes (Ind.); George Rogers Clark Memorial; Monuments and Memorials; Wabash River; Bridges
Construction of the George Rogers Clark Memorial, part of the national park system, began in 1931 on the site of Fort Sackville by the Wabash River. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the memorial...
Sesquicentennial Pageant Reenactment of the Surrender of Fort Sackville
Knox County (Ind.); Clark, George Rogers, 1752-1818; Northwest, Old--History--Revolution, 1775-1783; Vincennes (Ind.)--History--Revolution, 1775-1783; Hamilton, Henry, d. 1796
British commander Henry Hamilton surrendered Fort Sackville to George Rogers Clark on February 25, 1779. This played a decisive part in the U.S. acquiring the Northwest Territory that included Indiana,...
Pennsylvania Railroad Ticket Office, Indianapolis, Indiana
Pennsylvania Railroad; Railroad companies; Railroads--Employees; Railroads; Office workers
This ticket office for the Pennsylvania Railroad was located at 110 Monument Place in Indianapolis. The photo provides a glimpse of one of the indoor jobs that supported the railroads.
Roundhouse Repair Crew for the Pennsylvania and Erie Railroads, Indianapolis, Indiana
Pennsylvania Railroad; Erie Railroad Company; New York Central Lines; Railroad companies; Railroads--Employees; Railroads--Maintenance and repair; Steam engines
The roundhouse and turntable for the Pennsylvania and Erie Railroads was located on West Washington Street in Indianapolis. The crew that operated the roundhouse and repaired cars is gathered for a group...
Mr. Bosstick's 8th Grade Class, Hymera, Indiana
Sullivan County (Ind.); Students; School children; Schools; Classrooms; Teachers
A post office named Hymera was established in 1855, and its town was platted in 1870 as Pittsburg. The town was renamed Hymera in 1890. The name probably came from the ancient Sicilian town of Himera.
Will Briggs' School Group, Coesse, Indiana, 1889
Whitley County (Ind.); School buildings; School children; Schools--Indiana--Photographs; Students; Teachers
Coesse was laid out in the 1850s. Its name is derived from a Potawatomi nickname of a Miami chief, Ku-wa-zi, meaning “Old Man.”
Swan School, Number 6, 1897 [Columbia City, Indiana]
Whitley County (Ind.); School buildings; School children; Schools; Schools--Indiana--Photographs; Students; Teachers
After the arrival of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, & Chicago Railway in 1856, Columbia City grew rapidly. The population tripled from 1860–1875. The town was once the world’s largest producer of blue...
Old Ray House and Public Square, Shelbyville, Indiana, 1894
Shelby County (Ind.); Business districts; Public spaces; Cities and towns
Shelbyville’s public square was laid out in 1823. The Ray House, a four-story brick hotel built on the northeast side of the square by M.M. Ray, was completed in 1857. It changed hands and was renamed...
McCordsville, High School Group Photograph, McCordsville, Indiana
Hancock County (Ind.); High school students; High schools
McCordsville was laid out in the 1860s but not incorporated until 1988. The McCordsville school dates from 1902 and was the first certified high school in the county. It was one of the schools consolidated...
Grand Army of the Republic Encampment at Princeton, Indiana
Gibson County (Ind.); Grand Army of the Republic; Courthouses; Zeppelins
The Grand Army of the Republic was an organization of Civil War veterans who had served in the Union Army. The G.A.R. had significant political clout nationwide. Between 1868–1908, no Republican was...
Princeton Silver Band, Princeton, Indiana, 1871
Gibson County (Ind.); Bands (music); Bandstands; Musical instruments
Platted in 1814, Princeton was selected as Gibson County’s seat by four commissioners because the site was halfway on the Evansville and Vincennes stage line. It was named for William Prince, one of...
add to favorites
page 1 of 2 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^