Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Inbody, J, Elkhart, In...
m.g Callahan co, Mario...
page 1 of 2 : (
add to favorites
Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company, Muncie, Indiana
Delaware County (Ind.); Industrial facilities; Aerial views
The Ball Brothers Manufacturing Company moved to Muncie in 1887 due to the large amount of natural gas needed to produce glass jars, for which the Ball Brothers were famous. Not only were the brothers...
Twin Bridges, Bluffton, Indiana
Wells County (Ind.); Bridges; Railroad bridges; Electric railroads; Pedestrian bridges; Bridges, Iron and steel
During the early 20th century Bluffton's improved infrastructure included the so-called "twin bridges" at North Main. The left bridge was for the interurban electric railroad only and the right one was...
Thread Factory and Employees, Monticello, Indiana
White County (Ind.); Factories; Thread; Sewing-- Equipment and supplies; Women
The Tippecanoe Thread Mills was started in 1910 and made possible by hydroelectric power channeled by the dam on the Tippecanoe River. It was owned by the Marshall Field Estate of Chicago and employed...
White County Courthouse, Monticello, Indiana
White County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities
The first White County courthouse was constructed in 1837. This view shows the county's predominant courthouse that was constructed in 1895 but destroyed by a tornado in 1974. It was succeeded by the present...
Railroad Depot and Grain Elevator, Kewanna
Railroads; Railroad facilities; Railroad shops & yards; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Transportation
The railroad was essential for transporting Indiana’s agricultural products as well as other resources such as coal and limestone.
Warren County Courthouse, Williamsport, Indiana
Warren County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities
Built from 1907 to 1908, the courthouse was designed by J.W. Royer of Urbana, Illinois. It was in the classical style with a tiled central dome. The interior included massive quartered oak furniture, tile...
Odd Fellows Building, Cayuga, Indiana
Vermillion County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Storefronts; Automobiles; Sidewalks
Cayuga was founded in 1827 and named for the city and lake in New York. One local legend, however, has it that the town was named for the sounds the Model T’s would make when the drivers would blow the...
Steuben County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Utility poles; Street lights; Carriages & coaches; Sidewalks; Dirt roads
Fremont was originally named Willow Prairie in 1834. In 1837 it was platted and renamed Brockville. In 1848 the name changed to Fremont in honor of John C. Fremont “the Great Pathfinder.” The town...
Hoosier Hills Observatory, Steuben County, Indiana
Steuben County (Ind.); Observation towers; Towers
Hoosier Hills Observatory, popular among tourists for many years, was on State Road 27 just north of Angola. It provided a view of the surrounding area from the height of 85 feet and was advertised as...
Jackson County Courthouse, Brownstown, Indiana
Jackson County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities; Clock towers; Cannon balls; Cannons; Carriages & coaches; Carts & wagons
The Jackson County courthouse dates from 1873. The present courthouse is the result of a reconstruction project in 1910 that changed the courthouse’s appearance with the addition of wings, a columned...
Main Street, Marco, Indiana
Greene County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads
Marco was settled in 1816 and the town was laid out around 1868. There are theories about the origin of the town name, some say it is for famed explorer Marco Polo and others say it is a combination of...
Rural Free Delivery Carrier with Wagon, Vernon, Indiana
Jennings County (Ind.); Mail wagons; Horses; Carts & wagons; Letter carriers
Rural Free Delivery, R.F.D., was important in the rural parts of the state. It began around the turn of the 20th century. Mail was delivered by E.J. Welker on route no. 2 in Vernon around 1910. Here he...
Main Street, Mauckport, Indiana
Harrison County (Ind.); Rivers; Streets; Dirt roads; River life
Mauckport was founded in 1827 as New Market and renamed after Frederick Mauck, an early settler of the area. The Ohio River has played a major role in Mauckport history: John Hunt Morgan crossed over the...
National Car Coupler Company, Attica, Indiana
Fountain County (Ind.); Factories; Steel industry
The National Car Coupler Company moved to Attica in 1906. The company changed its name to Harrison Steel Casting Company in 1927. Today, the business, still run by the Harrison family, continues to be...
High Street, Red-Key [Redkey], Indiana
Jay County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Carriages & coaches
Laid out in 1854 as Mount Vernon, it was renamed for James Redkey, a pioneer preacher who platted an addition in 1867. Locals have called it Lick Skillet, Grab All and Buzzards Roost for meager meals that...
Famous Pluto Spring, French Lick, Indiana. "The Home of Pluto Water"
French Lick Springs Hotel; Health & hygiene facilities; Health resorts
Between 1870 and 1930, a "go to get cured" industry mushroomed, embracing individuals seeking improved health. Popular Indiana destinations included the Pluto Springs of French Lick, the mud baths of Mudlavia,...
Kosciusko County Courthouse in Warsaw, Indiana
Kosciusko County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities
The fourth and current courthouse is in the Second Empire style of design with mansard roofs and a 162 ft. high octagonal dome It was built ca.1882-1884 by Thomas J. Tolan. He died during construction...
Washington Street Bridge Over Iriquois [Iroquois] River, Rensselaer, Indiana
Jasper County (Ind.); Rivers; Bridges; Iroquois River (Ind. and Ill.)
The Iroquois River flows through the town of Rensselaer on its way to the Mississippi River. This iron bridge on Washington Street spanned the Iroquois River until 1941.
Gene Stratton Porter
Adams County (Ind.); Stratton-Porter, Gene, 1863-1924; Women novelists, American; Naturalists
In 1886, author, naturalist and photographer, Geneva Grace Stratton, married Charles D. Porter, a druggist and banker from Geneva. She wrote several popular novels including Freckles, A Girl of the Limberlost,...
Kewanna, Indiana Railroad Depot
Fulton County (Ind.); Railroad facilities; Railroad freight cars; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Grain elevators
Kewanna was named Pleasant Grove in 1845 and was later called Pinhook. In 1871 it was renamed for the Potawatomi chief Kee-waw-nee, whose name meant Prairie Chicken. He lived in the area from around 1800...
add to favorites
page 1 of 2 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^