Search results for
Refine your search
Cities & Towns
Eddy so Pines
Photo by Crose
page 1 of 2 : (
add to favorites
Broad Street, East of Main Street, New Castle, Indiana
Henry County (Ind.); New Castle (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Utility poles; Street lights; Awnings; Street railroad tracks
New Castle, known as "The Rose City" in the early 1900s, was the major grower of the American Beauty Rose. Damage from the 1917 tornado, competition, and export decline during WWI combined to destroy the...
Market Street Looking South Liberty, Indiana
Union County (Ind.); Cities & towns; City & town life; Business districts; Storefronts; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Drugstores; Grocery stores
Because of Liberty’s central location, the county seat was moved there from Brownsville in 1823. Platted in 1822, the town became a commercial hub for county residents. Numerous businesses surrounded...
Christian Union Church, Brownsville, Indiana
Union County (Ind.); Churches; Wooden buildings; Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Located near Brownsville, the Christian Union Church organized in 1865 after political disputes during the Civil War caused a rift among local Methodists. This simple clapboard structure is representative...
West Newton High School, West Newton, Indiana
Marion County (Ind.); High school buildings; High schools; Schools; Playgrounds
Quakers settled in the area of West Newton as early as 1819, but the town was not platted until 1851. It was first called Easton and then Newton, before it was renamed West Newton by the postmaster to...
Business Portion, Southport, Indiana
Marion County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Railroad crossings; Railroad tracks; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Sidewalks
In 1822 the first settler arrived in the area of Southport, its name came from pioneers traveling south from Indianapolis who used the town as their first stop. The town was platted in 1849 after the arrival...
Big Four Railroad Station, Acton, Indiana
Marion County (Ind.); Railroad stations; Railroad tracks
Originally called Farmersville, Acton was platted in 1852 as a stop on the Indianapolis and Cincinnati Railroad. The village was later renamed, reportedly for a resident named General Acton.
Main Street, Reynolds, Indiana
White County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Railroad crossings; Railroad tracks
Reynolds was founded in 1854 and takes its name from the founder, Benjamin Reynolds. In addition to a grain elevator, the town’s other early industries included lumber and cement blocks.
Shafer Lake, Buffalo, Indiana (now part of Monticello, Indiana)
White County (Ind.); Lakes & ponds; Shafer, Lake (Ind.); Vacation houses; Recreation areas; Rowboats; Bodies of water; Resorts
Lake Shafer located on the north side of Monticello came into existence in 1923 when the Insull (hydroelectric) Company constructed the Norway Dam on the Tippecanoe River. The area developed into a popular...
Court House, Salem, Indiana
Washington County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities
The county’s first courthouse, which opened in 1816 in the county seat of Salem, was built on stilts and was nicknamed the “Stilted Castle of Justice.” The courthouse that stands today is the third...
Fredericksburg, Indiana - North View
Washington County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Aerial views; Bird's-eye views; Houses; Barns; Outhouses; Yards; Fences
The town of Fredericksburg was platted in 1815. It was named after Frederick Royse, who owned the land and supervised the county surveyor. The town was later moved to higher ground due to the flooding...
Old Wood Bridge, Fredericksburg, Indiana
Washington County (Ind.); Covered bridges; Dirt roads
The Fredericksburg Covered Bridge was built between 1836 and 1838 as a toll road. It crossed the Blue River on the New Albany – Paoli road. This view shows the original bridge about 1900. It was replaced...
East Oak Street, Campbellsburg, Indiana
Washington County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Storefronts; Railroad tracks; Railroad employees; Railroad handcars; Streets; Carts & wagons; Horses; Sidewalks; Dirt roads
In 1849, the tiny town, Buena Vista was platted after the New Albany and Salem Railroad, later the Monon Railroad, was extended through the county. In 1851, the town was enlarged and renamed Cambellsburg...
Public Library, Williamsport, Indiana
Warren County (Ind.); Libraries; Carnegie libraries
Businessman and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, donated money to build over 2,500 Carnegie libraries in the U.S. and around the world, including the one dedicated in 1917 on Fall Street in Williamsport....
Main Street in Shoals, Indiana
Martin County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Carriages & coaches; Pedestrians; Sidewalks; Dirt roads; Awnings; Flags
Here is a view of Main Street in downtown Shoals sometime in the late 1800’s. Many people are out walking or riding in carriages as they visit and do business at places such as the drug store, grocery...
Greetings from Patricksburg, Indiana
Owen County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Cityscapes; Bands; Churches; Railroad stations
When Dr. McAlister and Patrick Sullivan settled the area, one named the town and the other the post office. McAlister chose Lancaster for the town and Sullivan named the post office Patricksburg. Eventually,...
Steuben County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Utility poles; Street lights; Carriages & coaches; Sidewalks; Dirt roads
Fremont was originally named Willow Prairie in 1834. In 1837 it was platted and renamed Brockville. In 1848 the name changed to Fremont in honor of John C. Fremont “the Great Pathfinder.” The town...
Hoosier Hills Observatory, Steuben County, Indiana
Steuben County (Ind.); Observation towers; Towers
Hoosier Hills Observatory, popular among tourists for many years, was on State Road 27 just north of Angola. It provided a view of the surrounding area from the height of 85 feet and was advertised as...
Wayne Street, Warren, Indiana
Huntington County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Automobiles; Pedestrians
The town was platted as Jonesboro in 1836 but was renamed Warren in 1839 for Revolutionary War General Joseph Warren. The town grew with the arrival of the railroad in 1878 and the discovery of oil in...
Train accident, Huntington, Indiana
Huntington County (Ind.); Railroad accidents; Cities & towns; Grocery stores; Crowds
The Chicago, Bluffton and Cincinnati Rail Road existed from 1907-1917 connecting Huntington to Cincinnati. In 1913 a loose locomotive from the roundhouse ran down Front Street Riverside Drive tracks and...
Eggleston House, Vevay, Indiana
Switzerland County (Ind.); Houses; Birthplaces; Eggleston, Edward, 1837-1902; Eggleston, George Cary, 1839-1911
Vevay is the birthplace of two major Hoosier literary figures, brothers Edward and George Eggleston. Edward Eggleston (1837-1902) had many careers, but is best known for his novel "The Hoosier Schoolmaster"...
add to favorites
page 1 of 2 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^