Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
Williams, c.u, Bloomin...
page 1 of 2 : (
add to favorites
North Main Street, Mount Vernon, Indiana
Posey County (Ind.); Streets; Business districts
Mount Vernon was laid out in 1816 and named for George Washington's home. The town grew rapidly as it was located next to the Ohio River which provided for growth of commerce. For a time the town commercially...
Main St. West, Milton, Indiana
View of a section of Main Street in Milton, Indiana. The image shows businesses on the corners of the street. There is a tree-lined residential neighborhood further down the road. Farmers Bank is on one...
Baptist Church, Cumberland, Indiana
Baptist churches; Lanterns (Architecture); Churches; Signs (Notices)
View of a single story Baptist church in Cumberland, Indiana. The clapboard building is topped by a lantern. Over the door a sign reads: Baptist Church Organized 1836.
Broad Street, East of Main Street, New Castle, Indiana
Henry County (Ind.); New Castle (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Utility poles; Street lights; Awnings; Street railroad tracks
New Castle, known as "The Rose City" in the early 1900s, was the major grower of the American Beauty Rose. Damage from the 1917 tornado, competition, and export decline during WWI combined to destroy the...
Old Wood Bridge, Fredericksburg, Indiana
Washington County (Ind.); Covered bridges; Dirt roads
The Fredericksburg Covered Bridge was built between 1836 and 1838 as a toll road. It crossed the Blue River on the New Albany – Paoli road. This view shows the original bridge about 1900. It was replaced...
East Oak Street, Campbellsburg, Indiana
Washington County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Storefronts; Railroad tracks; Railroad employees; Railroad handcars; Streets; Carts & wagons; Horses; Sidewalks; Dirt roads
In 1849, the tiny town, Buena Vista was platted after the New Albany and Salem Railroad, later the Monon Railroad, was extended through the county. In 1851, the town was enlarged and renamed Cambellsburg...
Main Street Looking North, Winchester, Indiana
Randolph County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Streets; Sidewalks; Storefronts; Railroad tracks
Winchester is the birthplace of James P. Goodrich, Governor of Indiana, 1917-1921 and Hollywood director, Robert Wise. The city was founded in 1812 and became the county seat in 1818. It is the home of...
Eggleston House, Vevay, Indiana
Switzerland County (Ind.); Houses; Birthplaces; Eggleston, Edward, 1837-1902; Eggleston, George Cary, 1839-1911
Vevay is the birthplace of two major Hoosier literary figures, brothers Edward and George Eggleston. Edward Eggleston (1837-1902) had many careers, but is best known for his novel "The Hoosier Schoolmaster"...
Rising Sun, Indiana
Ohio County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Streets; Residential streets; Street lights; Trees; Dirt roads
Shown here is a quiet view of a residential street in Rising Sun, Indiana. In the 1890s the melodrama “Blue Jeans,” by local playwright Joseph Arthur, was set in Rising Sun. The play became a Broadway...
Transportation on the Ohio River at Rising Sun, Indiana
Ohio County (Ind.); Ohio River; River life; Flatboats; Rowboats; Waterfronts
Rising Sun was founded in 1814 by Maryland planter John James. By one account James named it Rising Sun for the beauty of an Ohio River sunrise. It incorporated in 1817 and became the county seat in 1844...
Business District, Larwill, Indiana
Whitley County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Post offices; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Carts & wagons; Carriages & coaches; Horses
Larwill was laid out in 1854 and called Huntsville before the name was changed to honor William and Joseph Larwill, two engineers who supervised the building of the railroad there. The post office adopted...
Bird's Eye View of Valparaiso, [Indiana] Looking North
Porter County (Ind.); Bird's-eye views; Cityscapes
Valparaiso is most commonly referred to as “Valpo” by its residents. The city was founded in 1836 as Portersville but the name was changed the following year when visiting sailors renamed it for the...
Main St., Wolcottville, Indiana
LaGrange County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads; Utility poles; Sidewalks; Signs (Notices); Awnings; Pedestrians
Wolcottville was platted in 1853. Some believe it was originally named Wolcott's Mills for George Wolcott who arrived in 1837 and built a carding mill, gristmill, sawmill and distillery. He also founded...
Street Car, Brownstown, Indiana
Jackson County (Ind.); Street railroads; Street railroad tracks; Mules
Many Jackson County communities such as Seymour, Brownstown, Vallonia, and Medora grew up along the railroad lines. The last horse and mule-drawn streetcar in the state ran between Ewing and Brownstown;...
Ewing Post Office Corner 2nd & Broadway, Brownstown, Indiana
Jackson County (Ind.); Post offices; Storefronts; Utility poles; Business districts; Dirt roads
Brownstown and the community of Ewing were about one mile apart but they merged around 1890. After this Brownstown had the rare distinction of having two separate post offices within its corporate boundaries...
Main Street looking East from Third, Gas City, Indiana
Grant County (Ind.); Business districts; Streets; Storefronts; Utility poles; Carriages & coaches
The town was laid out in 1867 and was initially named Harrisburg after John S. Harris, a local attorney. During the natural gas boom of 1887 the city was renamed Gas City. Glass, barrels and concrete were...
Birds-Eye View, Flatrock, Indiana
Shelby County (Ind.); Bird's-eye views; Railroad crossings; Railroad facilities; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Railroad freight cars
A railroad station on the Jeffersonville, Madison, and Indianapolis Railroad, the village of Flat Rock was laid out in January 1855. It was named for the nearby Flatrock River.
Knightstown Children's Home, Knightstown, Indiana
Henry County (Ind.); Children--Institutional care; Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home; Orphanages
In 1865 the Soldiers’ and Seamen’s Home was established in Knightstown for Civil War veterans. In 1867 it became the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphanage, which was renamed the Indiana Soldiers’...
Campers at Chautauqua Ravine Park Attica, Indiana
Fountain County (Ind.); Camping; Chautauquas; Parks; Tents; Forests
In 1807 Tecumseh and many Indian tribes met in Ravine Park near Attica. The site was later used as a distillery, a brick plant, and the county fairgrounds. By the early 1900s the park hosted an annual...
A View On Newton Street in Goodland, Indiana
Newton County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Carriages & coaches; Dirt roads
Established in 1861 by brothers, Timothy and William Foster, Goodland was named for the surrounding fertile prairie. Farming and the grain trade have been the mainstay of the town since its beginning.
add to favorites
page 1 of 2 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^