Search results for
Refine your search
W H Bass Photo Company
W. H. Bass Photo Compa...
w.h Bass Photo Company
W H Bass
W H Bass Photo Shop
Format of Original
Photographic Print, B&...
Print, B&w, 8 X 10
Glass Plate, 8x10
Monument Circle (India...
page 1 of 9 : (
add to favorites
Capitol Burlesque Theater
Buildings; Theaters; Automobiles; Traffic police; Marquees
The Capitol Theater had several name changes. It opened in 1858 as the Metropolitan. In 1882 it became the Park Theatre then in 1913 it took th ename Lyceum. In 1916 the name changed to Strand, and later...
Theaters; Buildings; Automobiles; Marquees; Crowds; Banners
B.F. Keith's Theater originally opened as Grand Opera House in 1875. It took the new name in 1910. Located at 117 N. Pennsylvania it had a seating capacity of 1,608. It was said to be the first U.S. theater...
Circle Hall Building
Office buildings; Schools; City & town halls; Carriages & coaches
Signs on the building indicate that it housed a millinery, sign painter, College of Music, and School of Art. The building also served as city hall. A flight of stairs on the side of the building leads...
Civic Theatre of Indianapolis on Alabama Street
Buildings; Theaters; Doors & doorways; Snow; Winter
The Civic is a community based theatre. It was founded in 1915 as the Little Theatre and in 1929 took the official name Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre as the local author occasionally participated in its...
Automobiles; Buildings; Theaters; Street railroad tracks
The Strand Theatre was originally called the Metropolitan Theatre. Located at 148 West Washington Street it had a seating capacity of 900 and opened September 27, 1858. The theatre underwent several name...
English Theater Stage and Seating
Theaters; Theater curtains; Seating furniture; Balconies; English Theatre (Indianapolis, Ind.); English Hotel (Indianapolis, Ind.); English's Opera House (Indianapolis, Ind.)
In 1902 English renovated the interior of the theater, including the addition of a new curtain. The royal red-silk velour curtain cost twelve hundred dollars and weighed more than eighteen hundred pounds....
Advertisement for Laborers to Work on the Central Canal of Indiana
Advertisements; Canals; Canal construction workers; Laborers
The advertisement reads: 2,000 Laborers Wanted on the Central Canal of Indiana. The great Central Canal of Indiana is intended to connect the waters of Lake Erie and the Ohio river, and will be about 400...
Indiana War Memorial Plaza
Plazas; Obelisks; Monuments & memorials; Aerial views; Libraries; Churches
Aerial view of the Indiana War Memorial Plaza. Obelisk Square is in the foreground. In the block behind it is the American Legion building and landscaped grounds around it. Centered beyond that is the...
Vice-President Charles Fairbanks Funeral Procession Passing Park Theater
Fairbanks, Charles W. (Charles Warren), 1852-1918--Death & burial; Vice presidents; Theaters; Honor guards; Billboards; Funeral processions; Crowds; Hearses
Policemen are escorting the hearse along Washington Street as it approaches the grounds of the state house. An honor guard is on the grounds walking towards the state house. People line both sides of the...
Living Room in the Model Home, 1935
Living rooms; Fireplaces; Chairs; Draperies; Murals; Tables
The room has exposed beams in the ceiling, and is furnished with chairs, a couch, and tables. It has a fireplace with a mural above it. There are plaid drapes at the windows.
Thomas Carr Howe High School
Schools; Educational facilities; Indianapolis Public Schools; Education--Indiana--Indianapolis; Irvington (Indianapolis, Ind.)
The relocation of Butler to the north side of Indianapolis left the community without its “town and gown” feeling of which it boasted. In 1938, after a decade of planning and waiting for funds, Thomas...
Broad Ripple Park
Broad Ripple (Indianapolis, Ind.)--History; Broad Ripple Park; Amusement parks; Amusement rides; Indianapolis, Ind.
White City Amusement Park opened in 1906 at the northeast corner of the village. After it burned in 1908, its successor, Broad Ripple Park, opened offering many attractions, including a carousel in operation...
Aerial View of Pennsylvania Street and Virginia Avenue
Indiana National Bank; Business districts; Neighborhoods
The Pembroke Arcade is the arched building entrance on the left. The Indiana National Bank building is in the center of the picture. Behind it is the office building of the Scottish Rite. The Arcade was...
The Ohio Theater was located at 40 West Ohio Street. It opened November, 1919 with a seating capacity of 1,500. The theater hosted movies and band concerts. It closed in January, 1970.
Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Freight Engine #3 at Indianapolis
Locomotives; Railroads; Transportation
Terre Haute Indianapolis & Eastern freight steeplecab switching locomotive #3 was used at the White River power plant in Indianapolis where it hauled coal cars. It was built at the company’s shops in...
Sketch of Governor's Mansion by Christian Schrader
Drawings; Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); Governors
In 1827 Indiana's General Assembly made provision to use the Circle for its original purpose and a Governor’s Mansion was built. No governor ever lived in it, and the house was used, among other things,...
Automobiles; Buildings; Theaters
Zaring Theatre located at 2741 Central Avenue. It opened November 2, 1925 and showed movies. It was said to be the second theater in America with an Egyptian motif. The theatre was razed 1968-1969.
J.C. Penney Company Building on Monument Circle
Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); Department stores; Business districts
A J.C. Penney Company building replaced the English Hotel/Opera House in 1951. Nathaniel Owings, formerly of Indianapolis, designed it. During a 1957 visit, famed architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, commented,...
View of the Greek Revival style State House ca. 1860
Indiana State Capitol (Indianapolis, Ind.); Greek revival (Architecture)--Indiana--Indianapolis; Davis, Alexander Jackson, 1803-1892; Town, Ithiel, 1784-1844;
The original Statehouse designed by Town and Davis of New York was built in 1835. It was constructed of brick and wood with a stucco exterior. It was razed in 1878 to make room for the present Statehouse....
Automobiles; Buildings; Theaters; Marquees
The theatre opened February, 1906 with a seating capacity of 200. It was rebuilt in 1912 with seating for 1,400. Showing movies, it was located at 121-135 N. Illinois Street and closed ca. 1969.
add to favorites
page 1 of 9 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^