Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
C. H. Wolf
c.r Childs, Photograph...
B B Montgomery
page 1 of 13 : (
add to favorites
Church at Paris Crossing, Indiana
Jennings County (Ind.); Churches; Cemeteries
Paris Crossing was built along a railroad line northwest of Paris in 1850. This picture shows the small rural church and cemetery where Russell Booker preached. The church has two doors of which one was...
East Washington St. Looking West, Mar. 25, 1913, Shelbyville, Indiana
Shelby County (Ind.); Floods--Indiana; Business districts; Furniture stores; Carriages & coaches
The most disastrous flood in Indiana history swept the state in March 1913. Shelbyville was known as the "Furniture City of the Middle West" and in this flood scene, a furniture shop is in view. In the...
Home of General Lew Wallace
Montgomery County (Ind.); Porches; Wallace, Lew, 1827-1905
Lew Wallace (1827-1905), later in his life as author, soldier, statesman, artist, violinist, and inventor, lived in this discreet frame home in Crawfordsville. Though the residence no longer stands intact,...
Main Street, Looking West, Crawfordsville, Ind.
Montgomery County (Ind.); Business districts; Street railroads; Parades & processions
A small, unidentified parade or procession, probably ca. 1910-12, is depicted along Crawfordsville's Main Street, with structures including a theater and interurban station in the foreground.
Courthouse at Crawfordsville before 1917
Montgomery County (Ind.); Courthouses
A striking view of Montgomery County Courthouse was etched for this pre-1917 postcard scene. William Bunting's astounding brick and sandstone edifice was built in 1876, though its massive front tower was...
Montgomery County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads; Transportation
A prospering community in northern Montgomery County, Ladoga was founded in 1836 by John Meyers. Visible in a main street view are a dress shop, drug store, restaurant and other vital commercial ventures...
North Main Street, Elliott House, Wakarusa
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Dirt roads; Transportation
The town was platted as Salem in 1852 but as there was already another Salem in Indiana, it was changed to Wakarusa, which oral tradition claims came from the Indian name meaning "knee deep in mud." The...
Market Street, Nappanee, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Transportation; Clothing & dress
Laid out in 1874, Nappanee's name comes from the Missisauga na-pa-ni "flour," and was named after the Canadian town, Napanee, named for its gristmill. Another legend says it was named for an Indian maiden...
Main Street, Goshen, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Clothing & dress; Clocks & watches; Sidewalks
Oliver Crane created lots for the county seat in 1831. One tradition says Goshen is named after Mr. Crane's hometown in Orange County, New York; another says it was because the land was rich and productive...
Bucklen Opera House, Elkhart, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Theaters; Transportation; Stores & shops; Carriages & coaches
The Bucklen Opera House opened in 1884 in Elkhart with a seating capacity of 1,200 and hosting vaudeville, dramatic, and musical groups. In 1896 Elkhart's first motion picture was shown here for 5 cents...
West Vistula Street, Bristol, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Dirt roads; Transportation
Bristol was founded in 1830 and platted in 1835. It was named for Bristol, England, by New England settlers.
Entrance to "Northern Beach" Carmel, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Automobiles; Summer; Transportation; Dirt roads
Carmel was first called Bethlehem and platted in 1837. Northern Beach, now a private park, was a recreational area along the White River at 116th Street.
Automobiles on Display, Westfield, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Automobiles; Dirt roads; Clothing & dress; Children; Children's clothing & dress; Transportation
Westfield was settled by Quakers from North Carolina in 1832. First called Westville, the town was laid out in 1834 and renamed after the Westfield Monthly Society of Friends Meeting in North Carolina....
Elliott and Antrim Block, Sheridan, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Buildings; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Transportation; Street lights
First called Millwood in 1860, this town was renamed Sheridan in 1871 to honor General Philip H. Sheridan. Undertaker and furniture dealer J.G. Antrim wrote of his store, "we own . . . over 8000 square...
Public School, Cicero, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Schools; School children
Cicero was organized in 1835 and named for nearby Cicero Creek. The town grew after the railroad came in 1853, and expanded further with the discovery of natural gas in the 1880s. Electricity came in 1909...
Atlanta Water Wagon
Hamilton County (Ind.); Carts & wagons; Mules; Dirt roads; Transportation; Clothing & dress; Summer
First settled in the 1830s, the area previously known as Sheilsville and Buena Vista became Atlanta in 1885. Like other Jackson Township towns, Atlanta grew after the discovery of natural gas. Glass factories...
Arcadia American Express Company [Train Depot]
Hamilton County (Ind.); Railroad facilities; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Railroad freight cars; Transportation
Arcadia was organized in 1849 and named for the ancient Greek district noted for its pastoral beauty. Growth was slow until the Indianapolis, Peru and Chicago Railroad came in 1854. Arcadia glass, now...
Aerial View of Noblesville, Indiana
Aerial views; Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Stores & shops
Noblesville was founded in 1823 and probably named for James Noble, the first U.S. senator from Indiana. The current courthouse was completed in 1879 and heated by steam, which was considered progressive...
Lagro Roller Mills
Wabash County (ind.); Mills; Winter
Lagro was settled around 1829 on the Wabash River and was a main town along the Wabash and Erie Canal. Once a French and Indian trading post, it was named for Le Gros, a Miami chief. Originally part of...
Branson Street, LaFontaine, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Business districts
La Fontaine was settled around 1833. It was platted in 1845 and named Ashland due to all the wood burned at the tannery there. In 1873 the town's name was changed to La Fontaine to honor Miami chief François...
add to favorites
page 1 of 13 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^