Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
Carriages & Coaches
C H Wolf
C. H. Wolf
c.r Childs, Photograph...
H H Coburn
page 2 of 55 : (
add to favorites
Main Street, Goshen, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Clothing & dress; Clocks & watches; Sidewalks
Oliver Crane created lots for the county seat in 1831. One tradition says Goshen is named after Mr. Crane's hometown in Orange County, New York; another says it was because the land was rich and productive...
Bucklen Opera House, Elkhart, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Theaters; Transportation; Stores & shops; Carriages & coaches
The Bucklen Opera House opened in 1884 in Elkhart with a seating capacity of 1,200 and hosting vaudeville, dramatic, and musical groups. In 1896 Elkhart's first motion picture was shown here for 5 cents...
West Vistula Street, Bristol, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Dirt roads; Transportation
Bristol was founded in 1830 and platted in 1835. It was named for Bristol, England, by New England settlers.
Entrance to "Northern Beach" Carmel, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Automobiles; Summer; Transportation; Dirt roads
Carmel was first called Bethlehem and platted in 1837. Northern Beach, now a private park, was a recreational area along the White River at 116th Street.
Residence Section, Acton, Indiana
Wooden buildings; Porches; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Houses; Neighborhoods
Three wooden frame houses, each with a different style of porch, are shown. Young trees have been planted in a straight row along one side of the sidewalk; utility poles line the other side.
Automobiles on Display, Westfield, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Automobiles; Dirt roads; Clothing & dress; Children; Children's clothing & dress; Transportation
Westfield was settled by Quakers from North Carolina in 1832. First called Westville, the town was laid out in 1834 and renamed after the Westfield Monthly Society of Friends Meeting in North Carolina....
Elliott and Antrim Block, Sheridan, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Buildings; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Transportation; Street lights
First called Millwood in 1860, this town was renamed Sheridan in 1871 to honor General Philip H. Sheridan. Undertaker and furniture dealer J.G. Antrim wrote of his store, "we own . . . over 8000 square...
Public School, Cicero, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Schools; School children
Cicero was organized in 1835 and named for nearby Cicero Creek. The town grew after the railroad came in 1853, and expanded further with the discovery of natural gas in the 1880s. Electricity came in 1909...
Atlanta Water Wagon
Hamilton County (Ind.); Carts & wagons; Mules; Dirt roads; Transportation; Clothing & dress; Summer
First settled in the 1830s, the area previously known as Sheilsville and Buena Vista became Atlanta in 1885. Like other Jackson Township towns, Atlanta grew after the discovery of natural gas. Glass factories...
Arcadia American Express Company [Train Depot]
Hamilton County (Ind.); Railroad facilities; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Railroad freight cars; Transportation
Arcadia was organized in 1849 and named for the ancient Greek district noted for its pastoral beauty. Growth was slow until the Indianapolis, Peru and Chicago Railroad came in 1854. Arcadia glass, now...
Aerial View of Noblesville, Indiana
Aerial views; Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Stores & shops
Noblesville was founded in 1823 and probably named for James Noble, the first U.S. senator from Indiana. The current courthouse was completed in 1879 and heated by steam, which was considered progressive...
Lagro Roller Mills
Wabash County (ind.); Mills; Winter
Lagro was settled around 1829 on the Wabash River and was a main town along the Wabash and Erie Canal. Once a French and Indian trading post, it was named for Le Gros, a Miami chief. Originally part of...
Branson Street, LaFontaine, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Business districts
La Fontaine was settled around 1833. It was platted in 1845 and named Ashland due to all the wood burned at the tannery there. In 1873 the town's name was changed to La Fontaine to honor Miami chief François...
Wabash Street, South from Market, Wabash, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Transportation; Business districts; Street railroads
The electric streetcar arrived in Wabash in 1901. The first cars seated 48 people. They ran the length of the city including through the business district on Wabash Street every half hour for 5¢ a ride....
Wabash County Courthouse
Wabash County (Ind.); Courthouses; Domes; Porches
Early in 1880 electric light was set up on the dome of the courthouse. Special trains to Wabash carried 10,000 visitors and reporters from more than 40 newspapers to see it. Wabash claimed to be the first...
Walnut St. Atlanta, Indiana
Snow; Winter; Children; Men; Carriages & coaches; Neighborhoods; Trees; Utility poles; Streets
Snow covers the street and sidewalk in this picture of Walnut Street in Atlanta, Indiana. The snow also clings to tree branches and utilitly lines. Houses are on one side of the street, and carriages are...
Vandalia Grounds, North Manchester, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad locomotives; Railroad signals; Transportation
North Manchester lies just north of the great bend of the Eel River. In 1835 Peter Ogan platted the town with much foresight, making the streets wide and lots large. Flour and saw mills, limestone, and...
Lindley Hall, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
Wayne County (Ind.); Universities & colleges--Indiana--Richmond; Educational facilities; Earlham College
Built in 1887, Lindley Hall at Earlham College housed the campus library before the structure was gutted by fire in 1924. Like many other Richmond buildings, it reflects the Romanesque revival architecture...
County Court House, Richmond, Indiana
Wayne County (Ind.); Courthouses; Towers
In 1893, this Wayne County Courthouse, replaced an 1870s structure, becoming the state's largest courthouse built in Romanesque style. Construction required 600 railcar loads of Indiana limestone and 3...
Courthouse, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Allen County (Ind.); Courthouses; Cupolas; Business districts
The courthouse was designed by Brentwood S. Tolan in the Beaux Arts style with Blue Bedford limestone and Vermont granite. Built 1897-1902, it includes bas-reliefs, skylights, a rotunda with a dome of...
add to favorites
page 2 of 55 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^