Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
Stores & Shops
Photo by Crose
Photo by Moore
C F Moses
C R Childs, Photograph...
page 1 of 30 : (
add to favorites
Main Street, Looking West, Crawfordsville, Ind.
Montgomery County (Ind.); Business districts; Street railroads; Parades & processions
A small, unidentified parade or procession, probably ca. 1910-12, is depicted along Crawfordsville's Main Street, with structures including a theater and interurban station in the foreground.
Montgomery County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads; Transportation
A prospering community in northern Montgomery County, Ladoga was founded in 1836 by John Meyers. Visible in a main street view are a dress shop, drug store, restaurant and other vital commercial ventures...
North Main Street, Elliott House, Wakarusa
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Dirt roads; Transportation
The town was platted as Salem in 1852 but as there was already another Salem in Indiana, it was changed to Wakarusa, which oral tradition claims came from the Indian name meaning "knee deep in mud." The...
Market Street, Nappanee, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Transportation; Clothing & dress
Laid out in 1874, Nappanee's name comes from the Missisauga na-pa-ni "flour," and was named after the Canadian town, Napanee, named for its gristmill. Another legend says it was named for an Indian maiden...
Main Street, Goshen, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Clothing & dress; Clocks & watches; Sidewalks
Oliver Crane created lots for the county seat in 1831. One tradition says Goshen is named after Mr. Crane's hometown in Orange County, New York; another says it was because the land was rich and productive...
Bucklen Opera House, Elkhart, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Theaters; Transportation; Stores & shops; Carriages & coaches
The Bucklen Opera House opened in 1884 in Elkhart with a seating capacity of 1,200 and hosting vaudeville, dramatic, and musical groups. In 1896 Elkhart's first motion picture was shown here for 5 cents...
Residence Section, Acton, Indiana
Wooden buildings; Porches; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Houses; Neighborhoods
Three wooden frame houses, each with a different style of porch, are shown. Young trees have been planted in a straight row along one side of the sidewalk; utility poles line the other side.
Automobiles on Display, Westfield, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Automobiles; Dirt roads; Clothing & dress; Children; Children's clothing & dress; Transportation
Westfield was settled by Quakers from North Carolina in 1832. First called Westville, the town was laid out in 1834 and renamed after the Westfield Monthly Society of Friends Meeting in North Carolina....
Elliott and Antrim Block, Sheridan, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Buildings; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Transportation; Street lights
First called Millwood in 1860, this town was renamed Sheridan in 1871 to honor General Philip H. Sheridan. Undertaker and furniture dealer J.G. Antrim wrote of his store, "we own . . . over 8000 square...
Public School, Cicero, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Schools; School children
Cicero was organized in 1835 and named for nearby Cicero Creek. The town grew after the railroad came in 1853, and expanded further with the discovery of natural gas in the 1880s. Electricity came in 1909...
Aerial View of Noblesville, Indiana
Aerial views; Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Stores & shops
Noblesville was founded in 1823 and probably named for James Noble, the first U.S. senator from Indiana. The current courthouse was completed in 1879 and heated by steam, which was considered progressive...
Lagro Roller Mills
Wabash County (ind.); Mills; Winter
Lagro was settled around 1829 on the Wabash River and was a main town along the Wabash and Erie Canal. Once a French and Indian trading post, it was named for Le Gros, a Miami chief. Originally part of...
Branson Street, LaFontaine, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Business districts
La Fontaine was settled around 1833. It was platted in 1845 and named Ashland due to all the wood burned at the tannery there. In 1873 the town's name was changed to La Fontaine to honor Miami chief François...
Wabash Street, South from Market, Wabash, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Transportation; Business districts; Street railroads
The electric streetcar arrived in Wabash in 1901. The first cars seated 48 people. They ran the length of the city including through the business district on Wabash Street every half hour for 5¢ a ride....
Walnut St. Atlanta, Indiana
Snow; Winter; Children; Men; Carriages & coaches; Neighborhoods; Trees; Utility poles; Streets
Snow covers the street and sidewalk in this picture of Walnut Street in Atlanta, Indiana. The snow also clings to tree branches and utilitly lines. Houses are on one side of the street, and carriages are...
Lindley Hall, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
Wayne County (Ind.); Universities & colleges--Indiana--Richmond; Educational facilities; Earlham College
Built in 1887, Lindley Hall at Earlham College housed the campus library before the structure was gutted by fire in 1924. Like many other Richmond buildings, it reflects the Romanesque revival architecture...
Auditorium, Beulah Park, Alexandria, Indiana
Madison County (Ind.); Parks; Summer; Auditoriums
Beulah Park, in Alexandria, consists of 24 acres and is the home of the Madison County 4-H Fair. This image shows visitors of various ages enjoying a summer day in the park.
Courthouse Square, Anderson, Indiana
Madison County (Ind.); Courthouses; Business districts; Transportation
The old county courthouse was built from 1882-1885. It was the design of architect George W. Bunting, believed to have been the most prolific designer of Indiana courthouses. The building was demolished...
Delaware County Courthouse, Muncie, Indiana
Delaware County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities; Carriages & coaches; Business districts
The county seat of Muncie was platted in 1827. It was named for a band of the Delaware tribe that lived there. The Delaware County Courthouse shown was built in 1887 and designed by Brentwood Tolan. A...
Ev. Lutheran Emanual Church. Arcadia, Indiana
Churches; Bell towers; Altars; Religion; Religious facilities; Clergy; Portraits
The postcard includes images of the sanctuary and exterior of the brick Evangelical Lutheran Emanual Church in Arcadia, Indiana. A portrait of Reverend G. F. Schimmel is also shown.
add to favorites
page 1 of 30 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^