Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
Cities & Towns
E G Berkey
H H Coburn
H.e Fuller, Plymouth, ...
page 1 of 9 : (
add to favorites
Court House, Bluffton, Indiana
Wells County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities
The courthouse was built 1889-1891 by architect George Bunting in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. He included a 130-ft clock tower and used Indiana sandstone blocks with ornate stone decorations for...
Snoddy's Mill, Perrysville, Indiana
Vermillion County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Mills; Rivers; Dams
Perrysville was laid out in 1825 on a bluff overlooking the Wabash River. It once served as an important port for flat boats on the Wabash on their way to New Orleans. It declined with the era of the railroad...
Postcard of English Hotel and Opera House
Hotels; Theaters; English Theatre (Indianapolis, Ind.); Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); English Hotel and Opera House (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Word spread about the hotel. The message on the back of the postcard reads: "Dear Friend: This is view of hotel and opera house I mentioned before. Do you not think it an odd but pretty building. Will...
Parks Building, Topeka, Indiana
Stores & shops; Automobiles; Butchers; Butcher shops
View of the Parks Building in Topeka, Indiana. The three-story building has a porch around it. There is a sign for the Topeka Meat Market on the ground level and a man wearing an apron stands next to it....
West Newton High School, West Newton, Indiana
Marion County (Ind.); High school buildings; High schools; Schools; Playgrounds
Quakers settled in the area of West Newton as early as 1819, but the town was not platted until 1851. It was first called Easton and then Newton, before it was renamed West Newton by the postmaster to...
M.E. Church Winchester, Indiana
Randolph County (Ind.); Churches; Methodist churches
This church was the fourth structure built for this congregation. It replaced the Stone Methodist Church that was destroyed by fire in 1899. It featured a new Moller organ. It later changed its name to...
Street Scene, Pennville, Indiana
Jay County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Carriages & coaches; Awnings; Dirt roads; Sidewalks; Trees
Laid out as New Lisbon in 1836, the town's name changed to Camden in 1837. Later it was changed to Penn for the township, named after William Penn in honor of local Quaker settlers. Due to confusion with...
Lagro Roller Mills
Wabash County (ind.); Mills; Winter
Lagro was settled around 1829 on the Wabash River and was a main town along the Wabash and Erie Canal. Once a French and Indian trading post, it was named for Le Gros, a Miami chief. Originally part of...
Branson Street, LaFontaine, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Business districts
La Fontaine was settled around 1833. It was platted in 1845 and named Ashland due to all the wood burned at the tannery there. In 1873 the town's name was changed to La Fontaine to honor Miami chief François...
Delaware County Courthouse, Muncie, Indiana
Delaware County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities; Carriages & coaches; Business districts
The county seat of Muncie was platted in 1827. It was named for a band of the Delaware tribe that lived there. The Delaware County Courthouse shown was built in 1887 and designed by Brentwood Tolan. A...
Stern wheelers; Rivers; Paddleboats; Waterfronts
The paddleboat named Ranger is shown as it passes near the shore of Aurora, Indiana. Some people are standing on shore watching it.
Old Wood Bridge, Fredericksburg, Indiana
Washington County (Ind.); Covered bridges; Dirt roads
The Fredericksburg Covered Bridge was built between 1836 and 1838 as a toll road. It crossed the Blue River on the New Albany – Paoli road. This view shows the original bridge about 1900. It was replaced...
Public Library, Williamsport, Indiana
Warren County (Ind.); Libraries; Carnegie libraries
Businessman and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, donated money to build over 2,500 Carnegie libraries in the U.S. and around the world, including the one dedicated in 1917 on Fall Street in Williamsport....
Columbia Street, Union City, Indiana
Randolph County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Streets; Storefronts; Awnings; Sidewalks
Union City was platted in 1849. It was a part of the Quaker Trace, a route for runaway slaves that connected Richmond and Fort Wayne. In the 1850s it became a hub for railroad traffic with five railroad...
Bird's Eye View of Batesville, Indiana
Ripley County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Bird's-eye views; Aerial views; Lumber
Laid out in 1852 by Joshua Bates, a railroad engineer and surveyor, Batesville grew up along the railroad line. Timber in the area attracted buyers and craftsmen, mostly Germans from Cincinnati, and they...
Looking north on Main Street, Cromwell, Indiana
Noble County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Stores & shops; Storefronts; Awnings; Dirt roads
Cromwell was laid out in 1853 by Harrison Wood who named it for Englishman Oliver Cromwell. In 1911 the town still had a dirt Main Street, Cromwell did not see its first paved street until 1925. It is...
South Side Square, Sullivan, Indiana
Sullivan County (Ind.); Business districts; Cities & towns; Storefronts; Carriages & coaches
First settled in 1838, the town of Sullivan was laid out in 1842 for the purpose of serving as the county seat. It grew with the coal industry in the late 19th century, but since the 1950s has been mostly...
Transportation on the Ohio River at Rising Sun, Indiana
Ohio County (Ind.); Ohio River; River life; Flatboats; Rowboats; Waterfronts
Rising Sun was founded in 1814 by Maryland planter John James. By one account James named it Rising Sun for the beauty of an Ohio River sunrise. It incorporated in 1817 and became the county seat in 1844...
Christian Church, Hobbs, Indiana, Erected 1911
Tipton County (Ind.); Churches; Disciples of Christ; Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
The Christian church in Hobbs was organized in 1884, but did not thrive until 1896 when some members bought the old township school and converted it into a church. A new building, pictured here, was erected...
Main Street, Marco, Indiana
Greene County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads
Marco was settled in 1816 and the town was laid out around 1868. There are theories about the origin of the town name, some say it is for famed explorer Marco Polo and others say it is a combination of...
add to favorites
page 1 of 9 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^