Search results for
Refine your search
Carriages & Coaches
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
Photo by Crose
page 1 of 2 : (
add to favorites
Business District, Larwill, Indiana
Whitley County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Post offices; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Carts & wagons; Carriages & coaches; Horses
Larwill was laid out in 1854 and called Huntsville before the name was changed to honor William and Joseph Larwill, two engineers who supervised the building of the railroad there. The post office adopted...
Burrin Drug Company, South Main Street, Advance, Indiana
Boone County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Carriages & coaches; Dirt roads
Osceola was founded in 1872. When the town tried to get a post office, it learned another town by that name existed in Indiana. Considering the acquisition of a post office a big advance to the community,...
North Main Street, Elliott House, Wakarusa
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Dirt roads; Transportation
The town was platted as Salem in 1852 but as there was already another Salem in Indiana, it was changed to Wakarusa, which oral tradition claims came from the Indian name meaning "knee deep in mud." The...
Market Street, Nappanee, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Transportation; Clothing & dress
Laid out in 1874, Nappanee's name comes from the Missisauga na-pa-ni "flour," and was named after the Canadian town, Napanee, named for its gristmill. Another legend says it was named for an Indian maiden...
Branson Street, LaFontaine, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Business districts
La Fontaine was settled around 1833. It was platted in 1845 and named Ashland due to all the wood burned at the tannery there. In 1873 the town's name was changed to La Fontaine to honor Miami chief François...
Indianapolis News - News Boys' Band, Winona Lake, Indiana
Bands; Boys; Musicians; Drums; Musical instruments
Group portrait of the News Boys' Band in Winona Lake, Indiana. The forty-eight young men are posed outdoors wearing their uniforms and holding their instruments. Two adults are standing in the middle of...
Main St., Wolcottville, Indiana
Business districts; Streets; Advertisements
View of Main Street in Wolcottville, Indiana. There are residences on one side of the street and businesses on the other. A utility pole in the foreground has been painted with the name of a local pharmacy....
Department Store of H. H. Kramer, Batesville, Indiana.
Department stores; Dry goods stores; Awnings; Carriages & coaches; Farm produce; Baskets; Banners
View of the two story brick H. H. Kramer department store in Batesville, Indiana. A banner on the front of the store reads "H. H. Kramer's Store". Lettering in the front display windows advertises groceries...
St. Lawrence School and Convent, Muncie, Indiana
Convents; Schools; Children; Bell towers
View of the St. Lawrence School and Convent in Muncie, Indiana. The name of the school appears in the front of the four story brick building. There is a bell tower on top. A group of school children are...
Covered bridges; Bridges; Walkways; Covered walks
View of the Raleigh Bridge which spans the Big Flat Rock River in Raleigh, Indiana. The covered bridge also has a porch-like covered walkway along one side.
Business Portion, Southport, Indiana
Marion County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Railroad crossings; Railroad tracks; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Sidewalks
In 1822 the first settler arrived in the area of Southport, its name came from pioneers traveling south from Indianapolis who used the town as their first stop. The town was platted in 1849 after the arrival...
Main Street, Reynolds, Indiana
White County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Railroad crossings; Railroad tracks
Reynolds was founded in 1854 and takes its name from the founder, Benjamin Reynolds. In addition to a grain elevator, the town’s other early industries included lumber and cement blocks.
M.E. Church Winchester, Indiana
Randolph County (Ind.); Churches; Methodist churches
This church was the fourth structure built for this congregation. It replaced the Stone Methodist Church that was destroyed by fire in 1899. It featured a new Moller organ. It later changed its name to...
Newport Hill, Newport, Indiana
Vermillion County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Courthouses; Storefronts; Crowds; Sidewalks; Streets
Newport was laid out in 1828 by John Collett for the purpose of being the county seat and may have taken its name from Newport, Delaware. With a current population of fewer than 600, it is one of the state’s...
Steuben County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Utility poles; Street lights; Carriages & coaches; Sidewalks; Dirt roads
Fremont was originally named Willow Prairie in 1834. In 1837 it was platted and renamed Brockville. In 1848 the name changed to Fremont in honor of John C. Fremont “the Great Pathfinder.” The town...
Citizens National Bank, Tipton, Indiana
Tipton County (Ind.); Banks; Business districts; Storefronts; Pedestrians; Automobiles
Founded on October 19, 1898, Citizens was originally called the State Bank of Tipton. In December 1904 the name was changed to Citizens National. In 1926 it moved from this original site at Jefferson and...
Looking North on West Side of Broadway from Eliza Street, San Pierre, Indiana
Startke County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Sidewalks; Wooden buildings
In 1854, a village called Culvertown was laid out. The next year the name was changed to San Pierre. The first railroad in the county, the Monon line, was built through this town in 1853. This was the...
Bird's Eye View of Valparaiso, [Indiana] Looking North
Porter County (Ind.); Bird's-eye views; Cityscapes
Valparaiso is most commonly referred to as “Valpo” by its residents. The city was founded in 1836 as Portersville but the name was changed the following year when visiting sailors renamed it for the...
Stroh High School, Stroh, Indiana
LaGrange County (Ind.); High school buildings; High schools; Students; School children; Schools
Platted as Haywood in 1899, the name changed to Stroh in 1900 for Emil Stroh who controlled the local cement industry. The four-story consolidated township school building was built in 1902 containing...
Main Street, Marco, Indiana
Greene County (Ind.); Cities & towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Dirt roads
Marco was settled in 1816 and the town was laid out around 1868. There are theories about the origin of the town name, some say it is for famed explorer Marco Polo and others say it is a combination of...
add to favorites
page 1 of 2 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^