Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
Carriages & Coaches
C. H. Wolf
C H Wolf
M Leonard Photo co, 28...
M W P.c.h Rushville, I...
page 1 of 19 : (
add to favorites
Home of General Lew Wallace
Montgomery County (Ind.); Porches; Wallace, Lew, 1827-1905
Lew Wallace (1827-1905), later in his life as author, soldier, statesman, artist, violinist, and inventor, lived in this discreet frame home in Crawfordsville. Though the residence no longer stands intact,...
Canoe Club and Boat House, Riverside Park
Boathouses; Canoes; Rivers; Recreation; Boat clubs; Bridges
View of the Canoe Club and boathouse along the river at Riverside Park in Indianapolis, Indiana. The club house is a large wooden three-story building with porches facing the river on the first and second...
First School House in Wayne County, Indiana.
Schools; Log buildings; Historic buildings
View of a small wooden structure which served as the first school in Wayne County, Indiana. The log structure was built in 1812. There are no windows visible on the building. A man who attended the school...
Mt. St. Francis College, Floyd Knobs, Indiana
Schools; Educational facilities; Universities & colleges
View of the campus grounds of Mt. St. Francis College in Floyds Knobs, Indiana. A single building is shown set in an open area. There is a small porch at the entrance.
Business Street, Argos, Indiana
Business districts; Automobile dealerships; Hardware stores; Carriages & coaches; Trucks; Stores & shops; Storefronts; Horses; Automobiles
Brick buidings line this street in Argos, Indiana. Cars along with horses and buggies are parked in front of the businesses. Two of the businesses are Slayter Hardware Company and Wickizer Motor Company....
No. 5 Spring, West Baden Springs, Indiana
View of the gazebo covering spring number 5 in West Baden Springs, Idniana.
Mail Wagon, Vernon, Indiana
Mail wagons; Postal service; Horses; Carts & wagons; Postal service employees
View of a mail wagon used in Vernon, Indiana. A uniformed postal employee stands at one end of the carriage which is hitched to a white horse. Signs on the wagon read: "R. F. D. No. 2, Vernon, Ind. U....
Camp of Eastern Holiness Association, Cleveland, Indiana
Camp meetings; Children & adults; Religious retreats; Signs (Notices)
Adults and children are shown walking among the buildings at the Camp of Eastern Holiness Association in Cleveland, Indiana. A sign says "No Smoking Allowed on the Grounds."
Police Department, Hammond, Indiana
City & town halls; Police stations; Police
View of police headquarters in Hammond, Indiana. Officers in uniform are posed on the sidewalk in front of city hall. Painted on the window and printed on the awning is "Police Station No. 1." People are...
Brazil Block Coal Co., Shaft No. 1, Brazil, Indiana
Ore industry; Coal; Coal mining; Smokestacks; Wooden buildings
View of a mine shaft at the Brazil Block Coal Company in Brazil, Indiana. Two wooden buildings with smokestacks stand on the site.
West Main Street, Jamestown, Indiana
Boone County (Ind.); Carriages & coaches; Business districts; Storefronts; Streets
Jamestown was named for one of its settlers, James Matlock. Main Street, seen in this image, was once part of the original state road between Crawfordsville and Indianapolis. Jamestown prospered as a stage...
North Main Street, Elliott House, Wakarusa
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Stores & shops; Dirt roads; Transportation
The town was platted as Salem in 1852 but as there was already another Salem in Indiana, it was changed to Wakarusa, which oral tradition claims came from the Indian name meaning "knee deep in mud." The...
West Vistula Street, Bristol, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Dirt roads; Transportation
Bristol was founded in 1830 and platted in 1835. It was named for Bristol, England, by New England settlers.
Entrance to "Northern Beach" Carmel, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Automobiles; Summer; Transportation; Dirt roads
Carmel was first called Bethlehem and platted in 1837. Northern Beach, now a private park, was a recreational area along the White River at 116th Street.
Residence Section, Acton, Indiana
Wooden buildings; Porches; Sidewalks; Utility poles; Houses; Neighborhoods
Three wooden frame houses, each with a different style of porch, are shown. Young trees have been planted in a straight row along one side of the sidewalk; utility poles line the other side.
Public School, Cicero, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Schools; School children
Cicero was organized in 1835 and named for nearby Cicero Creek. The town grew after the railroad came in 1853, and expanded further with the discovery of natural gas in the 1880s. Electricity came in 1909...
Atlanta Water Wagon
Hamilton County (Ind.); Carts & wagons; Mules; Dirt roads; Transportation; Clothing & dress; Summer
First settled in the 1830s, the area previously known as Sheilsville and Buena Vista became Atlanta in 1885. Like other Jackson Township towns, Atlanta grew after the discovery of natural gas. Glass factories...
Wabash Street, South from Market, Wabash, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Transportation; Business districts; Street railroads
The electric streetcar arrived in Wabash in 1901. The first cars seated 48 people. They ran the length of the city including through the business district on Wabash Street every half hour for 5¢ a ride....
Wabash County Courthouse
Wabash County (Ind.); Courthouses; Domes; Porches
Early in 1880 electric light was set up on the dome of the courthouse. Special trains to Wabash carried 10,000 visitors and reporters from more than 40 newspapers to see it. Wabash claimed to be the first...
Vandalia Grounds, North Manchester, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad locomotives; Railroad signals; Transportation
North Manchester lies just north of the great bend of the Eel River. In 1835 Peter Ogan platted the town with much foresight, making the streets wide and lots large. Flour and saw mills, limestone, and...
add to favorites
page 1 of 19 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^