Search results for
Refine your search
Governors -- Indiana
Indiana -- Politics an...
Format of Original
Photographic Print, B&...
Portrait by Theodore C...
Ball Brothers Manufact...
Marceau & Power Studio...
page 1 of 7 : (
add to favorites
58th Annual Exhibition Hoosier Salon
The Hoosier Salon continued in the 1980s at L.S. Ayres store but the Salon offices moved again. The Board of Trade Building was torn down so the Salon moved to the Morrison Opera Place at 47 South Meridian...
George R. Carter Leather Works
Automobile industry and trade--Indiana--Connersville; Factories
Lexington used components in their automobiles from other local companies in Connersville, such as lights from the Indiana Lamp Company, engines from Ansted, and upholstery from the George R. Carter Leather...
Gustavus and Esther Lilly
Eli Lilly and Company; Portraits; Portrait photographs; Hairstyles; Clothing & dress
Eli Lilly was born in 1838, in Baltimore, Maryland. Named after his grandfather, he was the first of 11 children born to Gustavus and Esther Kirby Lilly. Eli was an infant when the family moved to Kentucky....
Gene Stratton Porter's Home at Wildflower Woods near Rome City, Indiana
Noble County (Ind.); Stratton-Porter, Gene, 1863-1924; Log cabins
Rome City was established in 1839. Gene Stratton-Porter, an author, naturalist and photographer, moved there and resided at the Cabin in Wildflower Woods on Sylvan Lake from 1914 until she moved to California...
Levi Coffin House
Coffin, Levi, (1798-1877); Fountain City (Ind.)--History; Wayne County (Ind.); Underground railroad--Indiana--Fountain City; Historic sites--Indiana--Fountain City; Historic buildings--Indiana--Fountain City
The Levi Coffin house was the first structure in Indiana to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1966). Levi Coffin (1798-1877), a Quaker from North Carolina, moved with his family to...
"Robt. E. Lee"
Steamboats; Transportation; Boats
The Robert E. Lee was built in New Albany, Indiana, in 1866, and dismantled in 1876. While the name was being painted on the ship it was moved over to the Kentucky shore as some Hoosiers resented the name...
Courthouse, Evansville, Indiana
Vanderburgh County (Ind.); Courthouses
Completed in 1890, this Neo-Baroque structure was designed by Louisville architect Henry Wolters and built by Charles Pearce and Company of Indianapolis. When county government offices moved to the Civic...
Irishman's Covered Bridge over Honey Creek
Vigo County (Ind.); Bridges; Covered bridges
Irishman's Covered Bridge spans 75 feet and was built in 1847 over Honey Creek, eight miles southeast of Terre Haute. It was repaired and moved to Fowler Park in 1971 with the help of the Vigo County Historical...
Manchester College, North Manchester, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Universities and colleges; Manchester College (North Manchester, Ind.)
Manchester College was established by the United Brethren Church in 1860 as Roanoke Classical Seminary in Roanoke, Indiana. It became Manchester College when it was moved to North Manchester, Indiana,...
Statue of Governor Oliver P. Morton
Morton, Oliver P. (Oliver Perry), 1823-1877; Statues; Sculpture; Indiana State Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (Indianapolis, Ind.); Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.)
This statue was unveiled in 1884 and stood in the center of Circle Park until the Indiana State Soldiers and Sailors Monument was built. The bronze statue was moved to the southeast side of the monument....
Indianapolis Water Company on Monument Circle
Columbia Club (Indianapolis, Ind.)--Photographs; Indianapolis Water Company Building (Indianapolis, Ind.); Business districts; Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.)
In 1891 the Indianapolis Water Company moved its headquarters to the Bishop's House, located on the northeast quadrant of the Circle. Originally built in 1871, the site belonged to the Episcopal diocese...
Cover of the Final Leedy Catalog from Indianapolis
Leedy Manufacturing Company
In the late 1920s, U.G. Leedy’s health began to decline. In the music world there was less need for theater drummers and there was less cash on hand in the business. With no family member able to take...
Leedy in His Workroom at the Cyclorama Building
Leedy Manufacturing Company; Leedy, Ulysses Grant; Drum; Manufacturing industries; Manufacturing industries--Indiana--Indianapolis; Manufacturing processes
In 1897, Leedy partnered with fellow musician, Sam Cooley, to form Leedy & Cooley Drum Manufacturing. They first ran the business out of the apartment they shared on Washington Street in Indianapolis....
Mr. Conrath Interpreter
Conrath, Joseph; Musical instruments; Musical instruments--Construction--Indiana--Indianapolis; Violins--Construction--Indiana--Indianapolis; Violin; Music stores--Indiana--Indianapolis; Stores & shops; Historical reenactments
The interpreters enjoy sharing stories of Indiana’s past, but are aware that they often create new memories. At least one child started taking violin lessons after visiting Mr. Conrath’s shop. Sharing...
JPG Community Supports the Troops
World War, 1939-1945; World War, 1939-1945--Indiana; Jefferson Proving Ground (Ind.)--History; Jefferson County (Ind.)--History; Jennings County (Ind.)--History; Ripley County (Ind.)--History; Proving grounds--Indiana; Defense industries; Military supplies; Military weapons; Weapons industry; Ordnance; Military facilities; War work; Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge
At the outbreak of the Gulf War I, JPG’s workload increased about 15%, as 321 lots of munitions were tested. Employees had 35 relatives in the service at the time, and a letter writing campaign and care...
Fence Through Barn - Jefferson Proving Ground
World War, 1939-1945; World War, 1939-1945--Indiana; Jefferson Proving Ground (Ind.)--History; Jefferson County (Ind.)--History; Jennings County (Ind.)--History; Ripley County (Ind.)--History; Proving grounds--Indiana; Defense industries; Military supplies; Military weapons; Weapons industry; Ordnance; Military facilities; War work
War in Europe called for a munitions testing locale for the U.S. Army. Small communities disappeared from the map, but few complained; they felt it was their patriotic duty. The Farm Security Agency oversaw...
Indiana Oxygen Building, Indianapolis
Indiana Oxygen Company
By 1930, business was booming and Indiana Oxygen moved to a larger building at 435 S. Delaware St. At the same time, technology had also advanced, and Indiana Oxygen turned to a new process known as Atmospheric...
Flood Waters Rising in Peru
Floods; Flood damage; Floods--Indiana; Floods--Indiana--Miami County; Floods--Ohio River Valley; Boats; Business districts; Neighborhoods; Rescue work
On Tuesday March 25th, water from the Wabash River began pouring into the town of Peru. Houses were lifted from their foundations and moved into neighbor’s yards. Residents scrambled to find shelter;...
Mary St. Clair Fortune
Fortune, Mary St. Clair; Mothers & children; Women's clothing; Hairstyles
William Fortune was born in Boonville, Indiana on May 27, 1863 to William Harrison Fortune and Mary St. Clair Fortune. His father, a Civil War veteran, moved the family to various towns throughout the...
Bona Thompson Memorial Center
Irvington (Indianapolis, Ind.)--History; Marion County (Ind.)--History; Libraries; Butler University--Bona Thompson Library
The Edward Thompson family moved from Edinburgh, Indiana to Irvington to send their daughter Bona to Butler. After graduation in 1897, her parents gave her a European tour. During the trip, Bona became...
add to favorites
page 1 of 7 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^