Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Photographic Print, B&...
University of Indianap...
Wright, E Sherman
G Koehler, Indianapoli...
page 1 of 5 : (
add to favorites
"Robt. E. Lee"
Steamboats; Transportation; Boats
The Robert E. Lee was built in New Albany, Indiana, in 1866, and dismantled in 1876. While the name was being painted on the ship it was moved over to the Kentucky shore as some Hoosiers resented the name...
School Children and Faculty Group Photo, Losantville, Indiana
Randolph County (Ind.); School children; Teachers
The town was platted in 1851 and was originally named Hunts Cross Roads. The name Losantville is a corruption of the name “Losantiville” which was the original name for Cincinnati, Ohio. It was also...
Santa Claus Statue, Santa Claus, Indiana
Spencer County (Ind.); Santa Claus Land (Santa Claus, Ind.); Statues
The town of Santa Claus was platted in 1846 and originally called Santa Fe. There was another Indiana town with that name, so a new name was needed. One legend tells that the name Santa Claus was decided...
Tanneyhill Mill in Bartholomew County
Bartholomew County (Ind.); Mills and mill-work; Flour industry; Flour mills; Carts & wagons
Taylorsville was originally called Herod, after a local family. In 1852 the name was changed in honor of President Zachary Taylor as it was felt the name Herod was being associated with the biblical Herod...
Evansville College Changes Its Name
University of Evansville; Universities and colleges; Snow; Winter; Seasons
In 1967, the Indiana General Assembly approves the College’s name change from Evansville College to the University of Evansville (UE). The designation as University reflects the growth in programs and...
Xenia Simons as a Child
Miller, Xenia Simons; Miller family; Dogs; Children's clothing; Children
Xenia was born in Morgantown, Indiana on July 9, 1917. Her parents were Luther and Nellie Simons, ran a furniture making business. Xenia was the youngest of four children, and she got her name from her...
A Sign Along a Beautified Hanna Avenue Announces the University’s Presence
University of Indianapolis; Universities and colleges--Indiana--Indianapolis; Students; Spring
In 1902, the name was “Indiana Central University.” Soon ICU became popularly known as “Indiana Central College,” only to formally revert decades later to the “University” name. Then, at Commencement...
Haynes Stellite Company; Metallurgy; Factories
In 1887 Haynes began experimenting to create a material that would resist tarnishing and be suitable for cutlery. After a number of years he developed the STELLITE® alloy. The name was derived from the...
University of Indianapolis Diploma
Butler University; Schools; Universities and colleges
In 1896, Butler University became part of the University of Indianapolis, which included the Indianapolis dental, medical, and law schools. To reflect its new status as the undergraduate school, it took...
Ballet; Dance; Costume
Dance of various styles had long been taught at the Arthur Jordan Conservatory of Music. The Jordan Ballet Company first performed in 1944. In 1949 the conservatory’s name was changed to Jordan College...
Perfect Circle Advertisement in Saturday Evening Post
Automobile industry and trade; Advertisements; Perfect Circle
To attract the new market of repair shop customers they advertised the piston rings as “Perfect Circles.” The name became so well known that it was made the company name in 1924. Meanwhile the next...
Purdue University Boilermakers
Purdue University; Students
Purdue can thank a Crawfordsville newspaper for the name Boilermakers. In referring to Purdue trouncing Wabash 44-0 in a 1891 football game, the Daily Argus News reported, "Wabash Snowed Completely Under...
Monon Railroad Engine #52 on Display in Monon, Indiana
White County (Ind.); Monon (Railroad); Crowds; Railroad stations; Railroad cars
The town of Monon takes it name from the township and was laid out in 1853. The name is derived from the Potawatomi meaning “tote” or carry. Its rail importance grew by being situated at the intersection...
Business Section, Shoals, Indiana
Martin County (Ind.); Cities and towns; Business districts; Storefronts; Automobiles; Trucks
The town of Shoals was settled in 1816 under the original name of Memphis. Legend says once the railroad came through they began to call it Shoals since it was near a shallow part of White River. The citizens...
Birds-eye View of Dubois, [Indiana] As Seen From a Hill Northeast of Town
Dubois County (Ind.); Cityscapes; Aerial views
Dubois County also has a small town of the same name situated along a creek. In its beginning, the settlement, also called Knoxville, had the distinction of resting in two townships, with the boundary...
"Virginia" on Her Maiden Voyage From Cincinnati to Wheeling, West Virginia
Steamboats; Bridges; Transportation
The Virginia was built in 1895 at Cincinnati. January 1, 1896, she sailed to Wheeling, West Virginia. During her career the ship had several name changes. She worked into the late 1920s. Here the smokestacks...
Steamboats; Transportation; Ferries
The ship was built in 1888, at the Howard Ship Yard in Jeffersonville, Indiana. It was owned by the Louisville & Jeffersonville Ferry Company and a subsidiary Fern Grove Amusement Company. It operated...
Corner of 2nd and Main, Mishawaka, Indiana
St. Joseph County (Ind.); Business districts; Storefronts; Churches
Mishawaka was laid out in 1833, following the discovery of iron ore in the area. The St. Joseph Iron Works was its early industrial backbone. The town was named for a Native American village by the same...
Aerial View of Monterey, Indiana
Pulaski County (Ind.); Aerial views
Monterey was laid out in 1849 by Eli and Peter W. DeMoss and originally named Buena Vista for the site of a battle in the Mexican War. The name was changed to Monterey, also the site of a Mexican War battle,...
Oakville, Indiana, Knights of Pythias Band
Delaware County (Ind.); Bands; Musicians; Drum; Wind instruments; Guitar; Clothing & dress
Oakville was laid out in 1873 as Pleasant Hill. In 1876 the post office was established with the town's new name. The Knights of Pythias is a fraternal organization founded in 1864 and still active today....
add to favorites
page 1 of 5 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^