Search results for
Refine your search
Format of Original
Real Photo Postcard
Real Photograph Postca...
Cities & Towns
c.r Childs, Photograph...
Inbody, J, Elkhart, In...
M Leonard Photo co, 28...
B B Montgomery
page 1 of 7 : (
add to favorites
San Jacinto, Indiana
Jennings County (Ind.); Farms; Country life; Churches; Haystacks
Main Street, Looking West, Crawfordsville, Ind.
Montgomery County (Ind.); Business districts; Street railroads; Parades & processions
A small, unidentified parade or procession, probably ca. 1910-12, is depicted along Crawfordsville's Main Street, with structures including a theater and interurban station in the foreground.
Courthouse at Crawfordsville before 1917
Montgomery County (Ind.); Courthouses
A striking view of Montgomery County Courthouse was etched for this pre-1917 postcard scene. William Bunting's astounding brick and sandstone edifice was built in 1876, though its massive front tower was...
Main Street, Goshen, Indiana
Elkhart County (Ind.); Business districts; Clothing & dress; Clocks & watches; Sidewalks
Oliver Crane created lots for the county seat in 1831. One tradition says Goshen is named after Mr. Crane's hometown in Orange County, New York; another says it was because the land was rich and productive...
Automobiles on Display, Westfield, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Automobiles; Dirt roads; Clothing & dress; Children; Children's clothing & dress; Transportation
Westfield was settled by Quakers from North Carolina in 1832. First called Westville, the town was laid out in 1834 and renamed after the Westfield Monthly Society of Friends Meeting in North Carolina....
Public School, Cicero, Indiana
Hamilton County (Ind.); Schools; School children
Cicero was organized in 1835 and named for nearby Cicero Creek. The town grew after the railroad came in 1853, and expanded further with the discovery of natural gas in the 1880s. Electricity came in 1909...
Aerial View of Noblesville, Indiana
Aerial views; Hamilton County (Ind.); Business districts; Stores & shops
Noblesville was founded in 1823 and probably named for James Noble, the first U.S. senator from Indiana. The current courthouse was completed in 1879 and heated by steam, which was considered progressive...
Lagro Roller Mills
Wabash County (ind.); Mills; Winter
Lagro was settled around 1829 on the Wabash River and was a main town along the Wabash and Erie Canal. Once a French and Indian trading post, it was named for Le Gros, a Miami chief. Originally part of...
Branson Street, LaFontaine, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Railroad crossings; Railroad signals; Dirt roads; Business districts
La Fontaine was settled around 1833. It was platted in 1845 and named Ashland due to all the wood burned at the tannery there. In 1873 the town's name was changed to La Fontaine to honor Miami chief François...
Wabash Street, South from Market, Wabash, Indiana
Wabash County (Ind.); Transportation; Business districts; Street railroads
The electric streetcar arrived in Wabash in 1901. The first cars seated 48 people. They ran the length of the city including through the business district on Wabash Street every half hour for 5¢ a ride....
Lindley Hall, Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana
Wayne County (Ind.); Universities & colleges--Indiana--Richmond; Educational facilities; Earlham College
Built in 1887, Lindley Hall at Earlham College housed the campus library before the structure was gutted by fire in 1924. Like many other Richmond buildings, it reflects the Romanesque revival architecture...
County Court House, Richmond, Indiana
Wayne County (Ind.); Courthouses; Towers
In 1893, this Wayne County Courthouse, replaced an 1870s structure, becoming the state's largest courthouse built in Romanesque style. Construction required 600 railcar loads of Indiana limestone and 3...
Auditorium, Beulah Park, Alexandria, Indiana
Madison County (Ind.); Parks; Summer; Auditoriums
Beulah Park, in Alexandria, consists of 24 acres and is the home of the Madison County 4-H Fair. This image shows visitors of various ages enjoying a summer day in the park.
Delaware County Courthouse, Muncie, Indiana
Delaware County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities; Carriages & coaches; Business districts
The county seat of Muncie was platted in 1827. It was named for a band of the Delaware tribe that lived there. The Delaware County Courthouse shown was built in 1887 and designed by Brentwood Tolan. A...
Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company, Muncie, Indiana
Delaware County (Ind.); Industrial facilities; Aerial views
The Ball Brothers Manufacturing Company moved to Muncie in 1887 due to the large amount of natural gas needed to produce glass jars, for which the Ball Brothers were famous. Not only were the brothers...
Posey County Courthouse, Mount Vernon, Indiana
Posey County (Ind.); Courthouses; Government facilities; Cupolas
The Posey County seat was moved from Blackford to Springfield then in 1825 to Mount Vernon.
Motorcycles in Front of the English Hotel
English Hotel and Opera House (Indianapolis, Ind.); Motorcycles; Monument Circle (Indianapolis, Ind.); Transportation; Clothing & dress
A motorcycle group has met on Monument Circle in front of the English Hotel. A doorman for the hotel is in the background.
Brookville, Indiana 1913 Flood
Floods; Rivers; Houses
The Whitewater River in Franklin County has flooded six times from 1898 to 1959. In 1970 the Indiana Department of Natural Resources completed a dam below Brookville on the east fork of the river to control...
North Meridian Street Bridge Washed Away by Flood
Floods; Natural disasters; Bridges
George Kessler’s long range landscape plan for Indianapolis called for the creation of 12 parks connected by parkways and boulevards, many along Fall Creek, White River, Brookside, and Pleasant Run....
General Store, San Jacinto, Indiana
Jennings County (Ind.); General stores; Carts & wagons; Country life; Dirt roads; Gardens
View of the general store located along a winding dirt road. There is a garden across the road. Two men stand with a horse and wagon next to the store.
add to favorites
page 1 of 7 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
^ to top ^